At the heart of MAST’s creative approach is our commitment to supporting the work of local artists and those with a strong connection to Southampton, Hampshire and the region. We are defining this region as Portland to Portsmouth from East to West, and from North to South, Basingstoke to the Isle of Wight. We want to support artists at all stage of their development – whether you are an emerging artist (of any age) or are established in your career, and we particularly want to hear from artists currently underrepresented in our industry.
Through our artist development opportunities we seek to support, empower and enrich the work of talented artists. Our goal is to cultivate the cultural identity of Southampton and create a space for artists where they feel welcomed and inspired. Our artist development work is targeted towards those making live performance work, but we welcome all artists working in any artform and at all stages of their careers to join our community.
MAST Artist Network
If you are a professional creative in any artistic field and at any stage of career development, you can sign up to become a MAST Artist Network member. Signing up is free and members benefit from the following:
- Invitations to free networking and professional development events
- Regular updates about professional opportunities and events in and around Southampton and the region
- 10% discount on selected MAST artist workshops
- 10% discount at MAST’s café/bar
- Discount offers on selected shows
To apply, use the button below to fill in your details, including a brief paragraph about you and your work. You must be a professional creative aged 18+ (at any stage in your career) in order to become a MAST Artist Network member. We will be in touch soon to confirm your membership.
MAST Networking Events
MAST holds regular events for our Artist Network members. The next in-person Artist Network Meeting will take place on 20 November. Booking is open now – we hope to see you there!
MAST Scratch Nights
MAST Scratch Nights are opportunities for artists to test out new ideas and get meaningful feedback. They are also an opportunity for audiences to be part of the creative process, giving their feedback on shows early on in their development. We will regularly host Scratch Nights for creatives to bring work that is in development - this is a night for artists to meet, share and discuss with their peers. Where possible MAST will provide rehearsal spaces for Scratch Nights, however, this is not always guaranteed.
Our first MAST Scratch Night will take place on 20 November, followed by another in February.
To apply for our Scratch Night on 20th November 2021 click here. The deadline for Scratch Night applications is Tuesday 19th October 2021 at 10.00AM.
Want to see what it’s all about, book for November’s Scratch Night here.
MAST Artist Residencies
MAST is a home for artists to create bold, inspiring and entertaining work. MAST Artist Residencies support artists creating performance-based work – this includes (but is not limited to) theatre, dance, circus, music, comedy and spoken word.
Artist Residency support includes:
- Research and development or rehearsal space in-kind in Studio 2 – this can range from a day to a week
- Invitation to join MAST’s Artist Network
- Inclusion in MAST’s website and social media activity (for Residencies of a week+)
- Please note that we anticipate Artist Residencies to require minimal technical support
- Occasionally MAST is able to offer seed commissions for exceptional projects
In return we ask you to:
- Credit MAST’s support on future iterations of the project
- Create some social media content during your Residency, crediting MAST (e.g. a blog) to help publicise our artist development work (for Residencies of a week+)
Applications for MAST Artist Residencies are currently open; the deadline for applications is 5pm on Wed 3 November. Informal zoom conversations about Artist Residency applications will be scheduled for Thu 11 November. All applicants will be contacted by Mon 22 November. To apply, click here.